Thursday, January 1, 2015

Something Old for the First Day of the New Year

Well, I was glancing through my sketchbook earlier, and I found a sketch I completed over a year ago, when Al, the man who facilitates an art group I was part of challenged me to do my best to draw him in no more than two minutes.  Well, I don't have a photograph of him to show you by comparison, but I can tell you that my daughter, who hasn't seen the gentleman for a very long time, saw it and right away asked, "Is that Al?"


Sketch of Al Mulkey, by Vicki Maheu


This reminds me that I need to get back into frequent sketching, and sometimes putting a time limit on it doesn't hurt anything, after all, by limiting the time spent so severely, it forces the artist to pick the important features that identify the subject, it kind of trains your mind what is important to create a general likeness.

Of course, this is just a sketch, if I was trying to do a real portrait I would take more time, use more details and do some shading, but for just a quick sketch, I think it turned out pretty good.

Thank you for reading! I welcome your suggestions on how to make this blog more interesting to you! Photography Prints

6 comments:

  1. I really like your sketch! I used to sketch in college and found it so relaxing. Impressive that you sketched this portrait in 2 minutes!

    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a part-time artist myself, I was always struck by the fact that - often, the first sketch out of my head is the most accurate. It's raw and unrefined, but somehow more real than when I go back and 'fix' it. It's cool that your daughter saw that too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to learn how to draw, and I think your sketch looks great. Maybe 2015 will be the year I take a class. Just stopping by from the Ultimate Blog Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great sketch! I love the expression on Al's face.

    This makes me want to get out my charcoals and do some sketching. I have abandoned it for a while and focused solely on writing. My art school professors would weep if they knew this. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoy that sketch of Al. Also your goals for 2015 are very motivating for me.
    Thank you for commenting on my blog and for following it. I am now following your blog so you have five followers!
    Looking forward to more!
    Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please Leave Your Reflections about my Reflections! And Thank You!